Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound italian chicken sausage (I used a spinach & garlic chicken sausage)
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/4 cup red cherry pepper minced (watch the heat if kids will be eating this...you could just leave these out and it would still be great)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (I also used shredded mozzarella on top)
Cut the two ends off the squash and then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and discard. Place the squash cut side down in a large baking dish and cover with plastic wrap. Cook in the microwave for 5-7 minutes, until soft. Remove from the microwave and use a fork to scrape out the squash. It will look like spaghetti strands. Put the strands in a bowl and place the squash halves back in the baking dish.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Remove the casing from the sausage and crumble it into the pan. Cook until lightly brown.
Add the peppers, onion and garlic. Cook for 4-5 more minutes until the veggies are tender.
Add the squash and marinara sauce to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the excess liquid has been absorbed. Spoon the filling into the squash halves.
Cover with the parmesan cheese (and mozzarella if you decide to use it).
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until it is heated through and the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Source: Stuffed Spaghetti Squash