I will use this page to fill you in on all the fabulous tips I have accumlated over the years that have expanded my cooking knowledge and made my time in the kitchen easier!
- If you are cutting an onion and your eyes are burning and tearing up, quickly run your hands under cold water and they will stop.
- To make perfect potatoes, think about investing a little money (maybe $35) and get a potato ricer. They look like this..
Once your potatoes are peeled, quartered and boiled, put them through a potato ricer and they will come out looking like little grains of rice. Your days of lumpy potatoes will be OVER instantly and you will need very little milk/cream/butter to keep them moist and smooth. No more mashing or standing there with a mixer to whip them. All it will take is a spoon to stir them together! Voila!
- Sick of having pots boil over that make a big mess on your stovetop? Add a small amount of vegetable oil to the pot and it won't boil over. Don't believe me? Try it. If you are making pastas or potatoes and you will have a pot of boiling water add the oil and it will be fine. :)
- For the perfect hard boiled egg: place the eggs in a pan and fill with just enough cold water to cover them. Bring to a rolling boil. Once they come to a boil, remove from the heat and put a lid on the pan. Let them sit in the pan with the lid on for 8 minutes. Take them out of the pan and put them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Perfect every time!
- Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away!