Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound ground sausage (I used hot sausage)
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 3 scallions, diced
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian blend herbs or 1 teaspoon each: fresh chopped basil, oregano and rosemary (optional) I used 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 day old french baguette, chopped in cubes
- 1 – 8 oz package shredded mild cheddar cheese
In a skillet brown the sausage.
When it is no longer pink add the peppers and scallions. Cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. If you are making the casserole to eat today, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and italian seasoning in a large bowl. Add the sausage mixture, bread cubes and half of the cheese and stir to combine.
Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray and pour the mixture into the pan. Cover with the remaining cheese. You can either refrigerate it overnight and bake it in the morning, or you can bake it now.
Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Source: The Family Kitchen