Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Anything and Everything Turkey Soup

Soup is one of the easiest things to make. I've never made a bad soup if I follow one basic strategy. Chicken or Turkey, add any variety of fresh veggies that you like and whatever stock you have on hand. When I looked in my refrigerator today, I realized that I had a bunch of vegetables that were getting close to tossing time and I wanted to make sure and use them before they went to waste. I usually make my own stock, but for this recipe I was using turkey thighs which were pretty fatty and I didn't want a greasy stock for my soup. I had leftover chicken stock and beef broth on hand from other recipes, so I used those instead.

Anything and Everything Turkey Soup
  • 2 Turkey Thighs
  • 2 carrots (cut lengthwise and then chopped)
  • 2 stalks of celery (cut lenthwise and then chopped)
  • 1 large onion diced
  • 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
  • 5 brussell sprouts (I had leftover from another recipe)
  • 2 potatoes peeled and diced
  • 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 scallion chopped


Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Brush turkey with olive oil and season liberally with salt & pepper

Bake in the oven for approximately 35-40 minutes or until juices run clear.


Chop veggies and set aside.


Melt butter in a stockpot and add the veggies. Cook for 3-5 minutes.


Remove and discard the skin from the turkey thighs. Pull the meat away from the bone.


Add the turkey meat, chicken broth, beef broth and parsley to the pot. Simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. You can add cooked egg noodles if you wish, but with this many veggies I didn't think it needed them! Enjoy!



0 comments:

Post a Comment