I love pizza and there was no way that I was going to cut that out of my diet, so I gave it a quick makeover. This pizza was healthy and delicious. I never used whole wheat pizza dough before tonight and honestly I couldn't even tell a difference between them. Why had I not been using this all along? I also realized that if I put the cheese on the pizza first (half fat cheese) and THEN loaded on all the veggies, I didn't really care about the cheese at all!
Whole Wheat Veggie Pizza
- whole wheat pizza dough
- reduced fat mozzarella cheese (I only needed to use 1/2 cup total for the whole pizza)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (I used pre-minced in a jar)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- red & green bell peppers, baby bella mushrooms, red onion, baby spinach (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley (I used dried, but you can use fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil (I used dried, but you can use fresh)
Spread the dough out and lightly coat the dough with olive oil.
Spread the minced garlic over the dough and sprinkle with salt, pepper, parsley and basil.
Add the cheese and then all your veggies. I decided not to use a tomato sauce on my pizza because I really like a simple garlic base with a little olive oil. You can certainly add sauce if you want to.
Bake on a pizza stone (if you have one) @ 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes or until it is lightly golden brown.
According to my calculations, this pizza is only about 200 calories a slice and it is loaded with veggies. You can't beat that! Pizza with no guilt is great!