Monday, January 3, 2011

Roasted Chicken Garden Salad

Roasted Chicken Garden Salad


I decided that I would roast a chicken today and that would give me plenty of meat for a few meals. I giggled a little when I realized that I normally pour melted butter all over a whole chicken before roasting it. My "healthy makeover" for this chicken was simple. I normally pull the skin up over the breast meat and put pieces of butter under it. I obviously didn't want to do that, so I decided that I would put minced garlic under the skin with some salt & pepper.


I also stuffed the cavity with onions, carrots, celery, rosemary, thyme and sage.


Brush the top with a little olive oil and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.


I poured a little chicken stock in the bottom of the roasting pan (the steam from the broth keeps the chicken moist while cooking). I stuck my meat thermometer in the thigh meat and into the oven it went @ 350 degrees.


This roaster took about 2 1/2 hours. I let it sit out on the counter for about 30 minutes and then refrigerated it for the afternoon so it would be ready and waiting for me tonight at dinner time.


For the salad I decided to load it up with veggies. I used a mixed green lettuce with baby spinach and then piled on red bell pepper, green bell peppers, red onion, english cucumbers, carrots, and tomatoes.


When it was time for dinner all I had to do was put some chicken on top and a little dressing. I used Wishbone Fat Free Zesty Italian and it was great!


Tomorrow I can use the leftover chicken for a chicken salad sandwich or some soup!


0 comments:

Post a Comment