Thursday, January 20, 2011

Spicy Orecchiette with Broccoli and Parmesan

No matter how hard I try I cannot stay away from pasta. It is one of those foods that I will never remove from my diet. I cannot fathom anyone being on the Atkins diet. Carbs are one of my favorite things, so I try to eat it combined with other healthy things and have it in moderation. Nothing is too bad in moderation, right? This recipe comes from none other than Martha Stewart. I altered it slightly to suite my taste and reduced the oil to make it a little healthier :)


Spicy Orecchiette with Broccoli and Parmesan


  • 14 oz orecchiette pasta
  • 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
  • 2 cloves garlic (cut into thin strips if using fresh, if you are using minced go with 2 teaspoons)
  • 1/4 teaspoon - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used 1/4 teaspoon and it wasn't super spicy)
  • 2 cups white mushrooms, roughly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (plus a little more to drizzle)
  • 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
  • salt & pepper to taste
In a large pot boil water for pasta. Cook the orecchiette until it is al dente, about 10-11 minutes. Before you drain the water, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water and set it aside. Drain the pasta and return it to the pan.


Add the olive oil to a large skillet. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes to the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the garlic is just barely starting to brown.


Add the broccoli, mushrooms and the reserved pasta water. Reduce heat slightly, cover and steam the veggies for about 6-7 minutes. You don't want to overcook the broccoli or it will get mushy and lose its wonderful green color.


When the broccoli is done, add the pasta to the skillet and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and add salt & pepper to taste. If your dish seems a little dry you can add a small drizzle of olive oil when you add the parmesan.


For being a vegetarian dish, this was very filling! Mushrooms are always a great addition to a vegetarian meal! They add great flavor and are a wonderful substituation for meat.


Source: Martha Stewart

7 comments:

Meredith said...

That looks UNBELIEVABLE!!! Yummmmmmmmmmmmm.
Maybe I will make that this weekend if my parents come up!

Farrah said...

This would be really good with chicken in it too!! You could cook up the chicken with the garlic and red pepper flakes and continue with the recipe the same way. That would be *great*!

Maeve's Momma said...

Looks superb! May have to try it!

Kristen said...

Looks wonderful. I love the shape of orecciette. It seems to scoop up whatever is mixed in with it. Yeah for pasta dishes!!

Tiffany said...

Oh! I can just smell the red pepper flakes and garlic!

Mateja ^_^ said...

Yum, yum, yum, a deliciousness on plate! Looks so beautiful with all the green broccoli and mushroom bits! Thank you for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe today and I loved it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Post a Comment