Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Name that dessert

Every now and then I just start experimenting with things just to see what will happen. Tonight was one of those nights. I opened the pantry and found a cake mix in there that I didn't even know was in there! After a quick check of the expiration date I decided that I needed to do something with it. I'm pretty disgusted by pouring oil into any kind of baking. That's just gross. I searched around for some alternatives and came up with tonight's nameless treat.


What in the world is this?!?


  • 1 box carrot cake mix (do not follow the directions on the box)
  • 1 15oz can pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup crushed pineapple + 2 tablespoons of the juice
  • 1/2 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl with a rubber spatula. Yep, it's that easy! I made this experiment into cupcakes/muffins. Line cupcake pans with paper cups and fill about 2/3 of the way. This made 17 cupcake/muffins for me. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


Here is my problem. I have no idea what these actually are. Technically they were made using a "cake mix" so I guess I should call them cupcakes...but they just aren't a cupcake. They tasted more like a muffin. They came out so moist and definitely did NOT need frosting of any kind.


Today's public service announcement: Don't be afraid to experiment. You are in charge in your kitchen. Make things...try things. Worst case scenario is you have to throw it out, but the more you try the closer you will come to making great things!!

2 comments:

Monica said...

I would likely call them "carrot cake muffins" but I am original like that ;)

Vicki Wilde said...

I think they are a muffin, but if you lather them in cream cheese frosting, then you have a cupcake! Either way, yum!

Post a Comment