Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Grilled Flank Steak with Tapenade and Oven Roasted Potatoes

The weather is finally starting to warm up in Upstate NY!!! I was super psyched to use my grill for the first time today. I had everything ready to go and then went outside and realized that the propane tank was empty!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Talk about a fail on my part. Doesn't this happen basically every.single.year the first time I try to grill? Will I ever learn? I guess not. Luckily for me I have my nifty little indoor grill that came to the rescue.

I found a variation of this recipe in the May 2011 issue of Food Network Magazine. I always find a few recipes worth making in every issue. This was such an incredible meal for a nice warm spring day. It was delicious hot and just as good cold! Make sure to visit your butcher for a good quality flank steak and you will not be disappointed!


Grilled Flank Steak with Tapenade and Oven Roasted Potatoes

  • 1 pound flank steak
  • 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives (I bought them already pitted to save me some work!)
  • 1 medium shallot
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 sprig rosemary, pulled off the stem
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 lemon, halved
  • kosher salt & pepper
  • fresh parsley
Preheat grill on high heat.

In a food processor pulse the olives, shallot, garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the juice of half of the lemon. Season lightly with salt and pepper. The olives already have plenty of salt in them so go easy.


Using a fork pierce the entire surface of the flank steak and then season it with salt and pepper.


Spread 1 tablespoon of the olive tapenade over the steak and allow it to marinate for at least 10 minutes.


In a small bowl combine the rest of the olive mixture with the parsley, the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the juice from the other half of the lemon. You can drizzle this mixture over the steak after it is cooked.


Place the steak on the grill and cook for 7 minutes on each side. This will give you a medium rare steak. I actually cooked mine slightly longer on each side (maybe an additional minute each) to bring it to medium (160 degrees).


Allow the steak to rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes before slicing. This is VERY important. If you don't let it rest you will have a dry piece of meat. Slice the meat against the grain into strips. I served mine over the basic greens and drizzled the tapenade over the top of the steak.


Oven Roasted Potatoes

  • 1 pound small red skin potatoes
  • 2 sprigs rosemary, pulled of the stems and roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup red onion, cut into a large dice
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, roughly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • kosher salt & pepper
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees

Cut the potatoes in half (or quarters if they are bigger potatoes) and place in a large ziplock bag. Add the olive oil, chopped rosemary, onions, garlic, parsley and tomatoes to the bag. You can prepare this in the morning and keep it in the refrigerator so all you have to do later is throw it on a pan, season with the salt and pepper and bake it.


Bake the potatoes for 10 minutes and then flip them on the pan. Continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through and lightly golden.


Enjoy!!!!

1 comments:

Stacy H said...

mm, I love flank steak, it is one of my favorite cuts of beef...

Post a Comment