Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rutabaga Fries

I like to step outside the box a little with my cooking. I am at the point where I am starting to really feel comfortable with the things I "usually" cook. I think I have gotten too comfortable, though. I really like to try and find new or unusual things to cook because it is the only way that I will ever learn what other amazing foods are out there! I always knew what a rutabaga looked like and I had passed them in the grocery store a million times over the years, but I had never cooked one before. I had NO idea what they tasted like or what to do with one. I tossed it in my cart and decided that I would just have to figure it out. I have to admit that I was slightly turned off by the very waxy and strange looking coating on the outside. I turned to my best friend, Google, for a little advice on what I could make with it. I saw many recipes using the rutabaga just like a potato. I figured I would turn them into french fries! After a little more research on the rutabaga I also learned that the rutabaga has half the calories and carbs of a potato. I was starting to love them already and I hadn't even eaten it yet!

Rutabaga Fries


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees

I attacked the rutabaga with a peeler and removed the gross, waxy coating that was covering it.


I immediately noticed a familiar scent; it smelled strangely similar to a turnip. I could tell there would be a little bitterness just by its scent. You could also smell a spicy bite, almost like a radish. I must warn you that they are incredibly hard to cut! They are hard like a sweet potato and it was difficult to cut through it. Be very careful and try not to cut yourself!

I decided to cut them like steak fries. Try to keep them all around the same thickness so they cook in about the same amount of time. You wouldn't want some of them cooked and others still raw inside.



Once they are all cut, place them on a baking sheet and drizzle them with a little olive oil. Use your hands to toss them all in the oil and then sprinkle them liberally with kosher salt and pepper on both sides. Keep them in a single layer so they cook evenly.


Bake them in the oven for about 40-45 minutes. You will want to flip them once or twice during baking to make sure both sides crisp up.


They were *really* good! I am very happy that I tried them. I know there are lots of ways I could use the rutabaga in the future :)


I think next time I would cook them at a higher temperature and maybe use canola or vegetable oil to try and achieve a slightly crispier exterior.

I served them up with a horseradish dipping sauce. I just mixed a little horseradish sauce with sour cream, grated onion, a pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder. Tasty!


6 comments:

Monica said...

I have to say... not something I'd ever think of trying! But your recipes haven't let me down yet! :)

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

oh YUM! I usually just cut it into chunks and boil the crap out of them. What's the difference between a rutabaga and a turnip? I always thought they were the same thing. DOH.

penny aka jeroxie said...

Looks like kolhrabi to me. They make great chips too.

Jennie said...

Rutabaga (we call it Swede in England) is one of my favorite veggies! Although I've never made fries out of it before. What a great idea! We traditionally eat it as a Christmas side dish. Cooked and mashed with butter and cream. Pure decadence!

Monica said...

Julie, I thought they were the same thing too... and that thing is what I know as a turnip. Maybe true turnips are the little ones?

Farrah said...

Okay, all this talk about the rutabaga and turnip being confused as the same thing made me look it up! lol

They are different and here is a link to explain why :)

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-turnip-and-rutabaga/

Post a Comment