Saturday, May 7, 2011

A busy day and some incredible frosting

Today was a perfect day! The sun was shining, the birds were chirping and my absolutely stunning daughter, Isabella, made her First Communion.


I woke up at 5:30 this morning to start getting us all ready to head out the door! Those of you with small children know how ridiculous it is trying to get out the door on time with kids. After a fantastic service at church we had our family and friends over to celebrate. Instead of doing all the cooking myself, I opted to order food because I wasn't going to be home and I had too much going on to do it all myself. This is the third time in the last few months that I've ordered food from Roma Foods in Latham and I haven't been disappointed yet! They have some really great Italian food that receives rave reviews from my guests every time!

I couldn't let the day pass without making a few things of my own, so I decided that I would make a bunch of cupcakes. I've recently decided that cupcakes are definitely better for parties than cake. I *really* have enjoyed not having to cut cake, pass it out and deal with forks. Now I can just set them up on a pretty display stand and let people serve themselves. What a nice change of pace!

I actually had a really big blog post planned with the recipe for the yellow cupcakes that I made, but after tasting one at the party earlier I decided that I need to make some adjustments. When I had a bite of one last night after I made them they tasted good and I didn't think I would change anything, but today they were a little on the dry side. That shouldn't happen so quickly! I will definitely post a recipe for them as soon as I make some changes.

The one thing that I REALLY wanted to give you the recipe for is a new frosting recipe that I made. I have always been a fan of making my own buttercream frosting; there is nothing better than homemade frosting. This frosting is my new favorite and I have to tell you that I'm in love.
It's a combo of butter and cream cheese that makes the most decadent, smooth and delicious frosting. I have been looking a lot at the Georgetown Cupcakes recently and was very curious about what kind of frosting they use on their cupcakes. They just did not look like my buttercream frosting, at all! The frosting always looked so smooth and creamy and I had to know what it was that they use. After a little research from my BFF, Google, I found their recipe and wanted to share it with you all. It's super easy and worth every second of your time (maybe 4 minutes total!)


Vanilla Butter/Cream Cheese Frosting

  • 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
  • 6oz cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 4 cups confectioner sugar, sifted
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make absolutely sure that you get the butter and cream cheese to room temperature before you start. That is a must! If you don't do it you will not have a nice frosting. It will be lumpy and weird.

Put the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer) and let them combine for a minute until it is nice and smooth. Add the sifted confectioner sugar and vanilla and mix on the slowest speed (unless you want to clean a huge mess) until it is thoroughly mixed. I usually up the speed once the sugar is mixed in just to fluff it up a little. Spoon the frosting into a pastry bag and frost your cupcakes! This frosting was SOOOOO good.









In addition to the yellow cupcakes with the vanilla cream cheese frosting, I also made the chocolate cupcakes with chocolate ganache. If you missed that recipe you can find it here.



I frosted some of the chocolate cupcakes with regular buttercream frosting for those who wanted a little bit less chocolate (those CRAZY people!)


All in all it was a great day! I hope that wherever you are that you had an equally pleasant day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment