Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Thin Mint Truffles

I have Girl Scout cookies all over in my pantry right now. I was trying to come up with a fun treat for St. Patrick's Day and I had totally forgotten about this recipe! I cannot take credit for coming up with this recipe, it has been floating out there on the internet for years. There are many different variations of this recipe and I'm sure they all make a delicious truffle.




Thin Mint Truffles


  • 1 box Thin Mint cookies
  • 4oz cream cheese (at room temperature)
  • 1 14oz bag dark chocolate mint candy melts
  • 1/2 cup dark green candy melts

Start by placing all of the thin mints in the food processor. Pulse the cookies until they resemble a fine crumb. In a large bowl combine the cream cheese and the cookie crumbs. You can try to use a plastic spatula to incorporate them, but I promise you that it won't work. Make sure you have nice clean hands and get right in there and work the crumbs into the cream cheese just like it is bread dough. Knead the mixture over and over again until everything is throughly combined.




Scoop into heaping teaspoons and then roll into small balls. I was able to get 26 truffles from one batch. Once you have formed all of the balls, place them in the refrigerator for about an hour to firm up.

Heat water in the bottom of a double boiler. Melt the dark mint chocolate, stirring until it is smooth and no lumps remain.



I tip the pan slightly on its side while dipping the truffles in the chocolate. I found it easiest to use childrens chop sticks to hold onto the truffles. Shake off any excess chocolate and then place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Allow them to sit until the chocolate is set, about 10 minutes.

Melt the green candy melts either over the double boiler or in the microwave. You can put the melted chocolate in a ziplock bag and snip the corner to drizzle the chocolate, but I find it easier to just dip a fork in the chocolate and drizzle it. Have fun and play! Remember when you were a kid and you would dip your paintbrush in paint and then flick it all over the paper? Well, that is what we are doing with the fork here. I actually like that they don't all look the same!



Enjoy!!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment